The peak of cooling season is right around the corner in Corpus Christi, Texas. For many homeowners, that means relying heavily on air conditioning today and paying the price for it tomorrow. But you don’t have to pay exorbitant energy bills to feel comfortable in your home. Here’s why you should schedule a home energy audit this spring:
First: Perform DIY Tasks to Save Energy
Before scheduling a professional home energy audit, perform one yourself. That way, when a professional inspects your home, he or she will find the most problematic energy wasters. Here are some DIY tasks to perform to save energy:
- Seal all air leaks around windows and doors.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient alternatives.
- Make sure your HVAC system’s air filter is clean.
- Properly vent your combustion appliances.
- Check that your hot water pipes and furnace ducts are insulated.
Second: Find Out Where You’re Wasting Energy
After performing a DIY energy audit, schedule a professional home energy audit. As a result, you’ll get a better picture of the areas of your home that are wasting the most energy. When looking for an HVAC contractor to perform the home energy audit, make sure that he or she participates in the ENERGY STAR Home Performance Program.
During the home energy audit, the professional will:
- Inspect your entire home one room at a time
- Evaluate past and present utility costs
- Conduct a blower door test
- Perform a thermographic inspection
- Measure air infiltration using Perfluorocarbon tracer gas
Third: Lower Your Energy Bills This Summer
The professional home energy audit will give you the information you need to maximize efficiency in your home. Afterward, you must make the necessary changes, improvements and upgrades to lower your monthly energy costs.
Are you interested in scheduling a home energy audit this spring? Contact Bodine-Scott at 888-481-8511 to ensure your summer energy bills are more of a pleasant surprise than an unexpected shock.
Image provided by Thinkstock