With spring come warmer temperatures and the need to condition indoor air to stay comfortable. This is the time of year to seek air conditioning and heat pump maintenance so the equipment performs the way it should in the coming months. Well-maintained equipment performs 10 to 25 percent more efficiently than neglected systems.
Air conditioners and heat pumps function the same in summer, so they require the same maintenance procedure. Here’s a look at what you can do yourself to maintain your cooling equipment and what a professional does during a formal annual visit.
A/C and Heat Pump Maintenance You Can Perform Yourself
- Change the filter: Clean or replace the air filter once a month or as needed based on how clogged the filter looks each time you check it. A clean air filter ensures proper system airflow, which reduces strain on the equipment and helps it perform more efficiently.
- Maintain the outdoor unit: Every so often, check the outdoor condensing unit. If dirt, fallen leaves, grass clippings and other debris are sticking to the fins, hose down the unit to clean it off. Keep nearby vegetation trimmed back to ensure proper airflow into the unit.
- Clean return and supply registers: Make sure air vents aren’t blocked by furniture or rugs. Vacuum the registers to remove dust and cobwebs. Always keep more than 80 percent of your home’s registers open to maintain proper pressure in the system.
Professional A/C and Heat Pump Maintenance
Once a year in the spring, have a technician visit your home to perform the following maintenance on your A/C or heat pump:
- Inspect ductwork, blower and indoor coil for obstructions
- Seal duct leaks
- Measure airflow
- Verify correct refrigerant charge and adjust if necessary
- Inspect electrical elements, and clean and tighten connections if needed
- Lubricate motors
- Inspect belts for tightness and replace if worn
- Ensure correct thermostat operation
Learn more about Bodine-Scott Air Conditioning Co.’s A/C and heat pump maintenance and call us at 888-481-8511 to schedule an appointment.