How to Improve Your Home’s Indoor Air Quality
Contaminated air inside your Kingsville, Texas, home can pose health risks. Pollutants such as pollen and pesticides can enter whenever you open a window or someone steps inside. Other common indoor pollutants include pet dander, dust, cigarette smoke, and chemical fumes. Therefore, it’s important to remain proactive to protect your family. Here are ways you can reduce these contaminants and improve indoor air quality in your home:
Control Sources of Indoor Air Pollutants
First, you need to eliminate the sources of air pollutants. Here’s how:
- Check your HVAC system’s ductwork for any leaks or cracks.
- Examine your home’s windows and doors to ensure they are well sealed.
- Keep your home free of smoke.
- Check your HVAC’s drain pan regularly to avoid the buildup of moisture.
Clean Your Home for Efficient HVAC Operation
Next, take action to improve your home’s indoor air quality by:
- Changing your air filters regularly. This is not only good for the air quality in your home, but it also keeps your HVAC system running efficiently.
- Sealing your home with weatherstripping, caulking and blown-in wall insulation to reduce the amount of outdoor air seeping indoors.
- Dusting and vacuuming regularly to reduce dust, dander and dirt buildup.
- Regularly cleaning your home’s gutters to avoid dirt buildup, which can cause excess moisture or standing water.
Maintain Proper Ventilation for Clean Indoor Air
Finally, remember that proper ventilation improves airflow and creates a clean and comfortable environment. Take these steps to accomplish that:
- Allow ample space around the air registers in your home, keeping furniture and rugs a good distance away to maximize airflow.
- Use natural cleaning products and avoid using chemical-laden paints, air fresheners and detergents to prevent volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from building up in your home.
- Install an exterior-venting range hood in your kitchen and exhaust fans in your bath and laundry rooms to prevent moisture buildup.
Rather than wait until a major problem arises, call Bodine-Scott at 888-481-8511 to schedule an assessment of your home’s indoor air quality. As a result, you’ll take the first step to better health. We offer effective solutions for creating optimal air quality inside your home.
Image provided by Bigstock